On April 2, 2020, The TTB will publish a final rule to address certain proposals included in Notice 176, Modernization of the Labeling and Advertising Regulations for Wine, Distilled Spirits, and Malt Beverages. The final rule is effective 30 days from date of publication in the Federal Register.
TTB recognizes that industry members have an interest in regulatory certainty, particularly with regard to policies that may affect the labeling of their products. The final rule liberalizes and clarifies changes that were proposed.
Specifically the rule finalizes the following liberalizing changes that were proposed in Notice No. 176:
• Expanded alcohol content tolerance for distilled spirits
• Brand label placement flexibility for distilled spirits
• Age statements for most types of distilled spirits
• Vintage dates for wine imported in bulk, and
• Removing prohibition on strength claims for malt beverages